Tuesday 24 February 2009

Grand Day Out - Full Project

Running order top to bottom
-------------------------------------------------------------
As a start to the new brief i decided to record my day. Shown here is me waking up, getting ready and traveling to uni. I shot it by using multi shot on my camera then sequencing them in QT. Didnt spend much time editing, just put the images together to inspire myself in preparation for the crit. As part of my journey features me riding to uni on my bike I may consider a bike ride as my day out.

25fps - audio

2fps

Research Section 1

Something mentioned by Andy in the crit today. Eames? Did some research and found a film that i had seen before. Interesting way to document, also the information graphics along side the footage telling you dimensions etc


Website - Bike Week, an event happening in June, could possibly produce a promotional piece to encourage people to have a go.

Thinking about who could be used a a client or as a direction for the outcome to be based.
Energy, Eco, Carbon footprint and carbon offsetting. How much energy do i use whilst out on my bike.
Article - How much co2 do i use?
Article - Bike to work

Wainwrights walks - Plan to document my day out using a little A5 sketchbook alongside photos and film. Wainwright has some great illustrations.


'Long Way Down' Tv series documenting travelling across many countries. Can i compare my simple day out to such a big journey.

Footage looks at Bike messengers in NY city. These guys are mad, needing to get from point A to B fast!!

Belleville Rendezvous - link1

Started to look at how i could use an animated map to record and document my journey.

Motion pieces involving bikes.
Queen - Bicycle race. This song by Queen, humorous take on riding a bike.
Bicycle adventure - combines physics into the story.

Nottingham Cycle Routes, Maps and Info
Nottinghams Big Wheel, this looks like a possibility for my cycle route.
Also 'Pedals' shows a range of routes i could take. Pedals


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research Section 2

Considering British Heart Foundation. Linking the bike ride to a get fit, keep healthy campaign or charity fundraiser. From the centre of Nottingham to the power station, the heart keeping the city going. BFH website, bike events.

Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station.
Doing some research on the Ratcliffe-on-Soar. Looking for facts about the station. It's said that 48 million cubic metes of water evaporates each year through the 8 cooling towers, the water is drawn from the Trent. [ref] Like the link of the water to the station. Heart??
The station can produce 2000MW, approx needs of 2 millian people, twice the pop. of Nottingham. E-on

Micheal Kenna, a photographer who i'd admired previously, one of his subjects was the station.


Informed today in the crit about "D-Fuse". Showreel.
Small Global Installation Dealing with globalization and impact on the planet.
Really interests me this type of work. Using Vj equipment as a medium, highlighting important social issues.

D-fuse - Brilliant city PDF ( mentioned by jon) Deals with the city.Ideas on how to use my photographs.

Today I was discussing the ideas and inspiration found on my day out. Id put the forward the idea of 'lifeline'. How the canal, river Trent, road and railways, electrical lines and on to the powerstation were the life of the city. All elements allowing the city to exist. Had similar attributes to the body. The blood, bones and muscle of my body on the bike ride.

Whilst on my day out along the river the Ratcliffe-on-Soar Power Station was is view all the way, i pretty much followed the power-lines all the way to it. I found this 3D view cameraBBC.co.uk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ideas & Initial Development

Freesoundproject - website
onedotzero - title, elements of this have a visual language i could use.

Animated map i created to show the route i took. It shows the outward route i took but not the return.


Window into a bike ride - one of my favorite ways of capturing footage on the day out was by using my phone. I liked the way it allowed me to record the activity through the eyes of the bike and me while i was riding it. I thought as individual pieces they weren't very interesting but by placing them into a grid or window format they take on a new life.



QTime movies. Below are compilations of the photos i took.
Both for viewing purposes and to get an idea of how i could create motion.


Expo Zaragoza / Thirst Exhibition


Record of my day out, using audio bites.

IDEA - one direction was to create a sense of a natural heartbeat within the environment.
Linking it to my heartbeat.

Heartbeat


veins



--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Development



Heart/bloodflow,veins

To highlight our effect on the earth this piece explores the heartrate of the planet-heartrate_earth

Existencial KinetoGraph


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEVELOPMENT
As part of the day out i used the Big Track which follows the canal and the river.
The Nottingham Council are pushing cycling and walking as part as a healthy lifestyle and as part of the environmentally friendly commute. The Big Wheel has a strong brand and i wanted to incorporate the raw material id collected with the existing visual language to create a motion piece to promote the route and my day.

Final Output -

No comments: